Saturday, March 05, 2005

IRISH PROVERBS

*A change of work is as good as a rest.

*Trouble hates nothing as much as a smile.

*May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

*A good retreat is better than a bad stand.

*Time is a great story teller.

*The work praises the man.

*There is light at the end of the tunnel.

*Continual cheerfulness is a sign of wisdom.

*You will never plough a field if you only turn it over in your mind.

*A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book.

*Better be safe than sorry.

*What the child sees, the child does. What the child does, the child is.

*There is no fireside like your own fireside.

*There is no luck except where there is discipline.

*Don't postpone a good deed.

*Making the beginning is one third of the work.

*Castles were built a stone at a time.

*A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle.

*A quiet tongue shows a wise head.



2 comments:

Britten said...

Here are the ones I love:

"A good retreat is better than a bad stand"...boy, do I know that to be true! There has been a few confrontations with colorguard moms I have had to just walk away from....as they are cussing me out...

"The work praises the man"...make me think of Joseph Smith.

"There is a light at the end of the tunnel"...I know this to be true too - I can always see the light although sometimes it seems as though the tunnel keeps getting longer and longer.

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle"...even though I love castles it would truly suck to be starving with lots of cold room and space. I'd much rather be stuffed and cozy!

-Britten

Unknown said...

"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book." - This is my personal favorite today.