Tuesday, March 08, 2005

An Aging Woman's Prayer

Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself that I am growing older, and will some day be old.Keep me from getting talkative, and particularly from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and every occasion. Release me from craving to try to straighten out everybody's affairs. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details - give me wings to get to the point. I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of others' pain. Help me endure them with patience; but seal my lips on my own aches and pains - they are increasing, and my love of rehearsing them becomes sweeter as the years go by. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old woman is one of the crowning works of the devil. Make me thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

that's really good, and fitting today, as I am a year older! (I already love to rehearse my aches and pains, all I can hope for is really good drugs in the future!)

LuLuBelle said...

Wait a minute here.... You guys are not old, I'm older than you and I refuse to be old (Yet)

Britten said...

Hahah! Kim....this reminds me of my grandmother and great-grandmother...they need to read this!

I am cruel...

I still love them though!

-Britten